Washing Machine Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house that I intend to buy has only a hot water supply plumbing for the washing machine. Is this not unusual? What type of washing machine should I look out for?

Sponsored Links
This is very unusual as most "quality" washing machines and dishwashers only fill from the cold and for good reasons.

By quality machines I refer to Miele, AEG or Bosch although the latter two are becomming more budget priced which is a shame.

My Miele washer dryer and dishwasher are cold fill only.

Budget, "too expensive to repair lets take them down the tip" machines generally have both a hot and cold fill.

Are you sure that this isn't just a cold supply that has the wrong colour on the appliance valve?

Softus said:
Are you sure that this isn't just a cold supply that has the wrong colour on the appliance valve?

The current owner has just added in the washing machine plumbing as part of the kitchen extension and agreement with us. He confirmed to me that he is taking from the hot supply when I asked whether the cold supply is from the mains or the tank. He didn't give a convincing reason why he uses the hot supply instead of cold or both.

At the kitchen sink, there's also an existing dishwasher connection and a newly added tee-off to an external garden tap. Could you think of any reason for his hesitation? Any idea how much it will cost to add in a cold supply involving hacking thru the current floor tiles 15 feet away from the sink area.

Sponsored Links
new-comer said:
The current owner has just added in the washing machine plumbing as part of the kitchen extension and agreement with us.
Eh? What agreement would that be?

He confirmed to me that he is taking from the hot supply when I asked whether the cold supply is from the mains or the tank. He didn't give a convincing reason why he uses the hot supply instead of cold or both.
Hmm, well, I can of three convincing reasons, viz:

1. Lack of knowledge; or
2. Human error; or
3. Laziness.

It doesn't really matter what the reason was - it just needs to be put right. The reason that it needs to be put is that no washing machine will work properly on all programmes with a hot-only fill. For example, if you put delicates in to wash at 40°C, and the incoming water is at 55°C, then you're going to have a problem.

At the kitchen sink, there's also an existing dishwasher connection and a newly added tee-off to an external garden tap. Could you think of any reason for his hesitation?
Perhaps he now knows that it was an utterly wrong thing to do?

Any idea how much it will cost to add in a cold supply involving hacking thru the current floor tiles 15 feet away from the sink area.
Sounds like a good day's work to me, and the cost of that depends on how much is charged by the person you engage to do it. Personally, I don't give out my rate, or any prices or estimates, on this site, but you'll probably find that others will.

Dear All,
Thank you for your helpful response. Guess, I will definitely need a cold supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back