Washing Machine Tap with a Check Valve ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I note that you can get a washing machine tap with and without a check valve.

Could someone please tell me where you would need to use the version which has the built in check valve ?

By the way I take it that you can use the same sort of tap for a dishwasher ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the washing machine does not have a Cat 3 air gap built in then you should fit a non return valve in the cold supply if it comes from the mains.

If the WMC is in a commercial or care home environment then it needs Cat 5 protection.

Few people even bother though.

Tony

A check valve permits water to flow in one direction only. It acts as a backflow prevention device to prevent water in a residential system from backing up into a municipal water supply.

Use them on things which have integral tank for heating water, ie, Washing machines, dishwashers and combination cylinders ect.

Gents

Many thanks for your replies.

Tony

How would I find out whether we have a Cat 3 air trap provision on our washing machine ?

Many thaks.

Sponsored Links
Just fit a non return valve as thats quicker and easier.

You could ask the manufacturer? Doubt that they will know though.

Or fill up machine and see if the drum level overflows to drain before being full and see if solenoid valves have an air gap between their outlet point and the maximum water level achievable.

All this is quite irrelevant as most machines will have the air gap built in and no one bothers anyway ( except in a launderette, hospital or care home ).

Tony

The check valve can also prevent problems with taste&odour in your drinking water as the flexible hoses are now of a lower quality than they used to be.

For future simplicity I'd fit one anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back