Washing machine won't drain, even into bucket - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can someone advise please? I have a Beko WM5140 washing machine which recently stopped draining and therefore stopped spinning. A fortnight ago I managed to get it going by tilting and dropping the machine (I know, I know :oops: ). That worked for a while but then the machine stopped draining again.

I've checked the pump filter under the kickplate 3 times, releasing water everywhere of course. It needed cleaning on the first occasion but not on the subsequent ones. I've now managed to snap the plastic part you grip to unscrew the filter cover so cannot access that again.

I tried disconnecting the hose and draining the water into a bowl. When I did this I discovered that the connector linking the hose and the undersink drainpipe was gunky so I cleared that, re-connected the hose and started the machine again... to find to my delight that it drained the remainder of the water out. Thinking I'd cured the problem I put another load of washing in. Big mistake.

All was fine until the spin/drain cycle, whereupon it just stopped with the machine half-full of water. If I turn the machine off then on again I hear a clunking noise as if the pump is about to operate then nothing. So, I tried to empty the machine of water by disconnecting the hose and draining the water into a bucket once more.

Only this time it won't do it. The hose has even been placed directly onto the floor for maximum gravity and still no water comes out of it.

I've sworn at it a lot and ordered a new machine that I can't afford but still I need to drain this damn thing in order to move it out of the house in readiness for its replacement AND it would be nice to get my washing out of the thing!

Has anyone any ideas please? Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
I would normally do it the other way round i.e. take it out of the house so I can drain it without flooding the place! Once it's outside you can remove things like the pump and the sump hose to determine the cause of the blockage, probably a sock or something.

Thank you. I gave up in desperation in the end and moved it anyway. Very little water came out but the machine has been nonetheless taken on by someone who thinks he can get it working and make use of it.

When I win the lottery I'm employing my very own on-site, on call plumber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back