Water based exterior paint for new and existing paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I'm after a recommendation for a good paint that is suitable for a project I'm working on. I really want to use a water based paint and avoid any oil type paints for this job.

The job entails renovating my back porch. Two new doors, new door frames and replacing some of the shiplap cladding.

I need something that will not only be suitable for fresh wood, but can also use on the rest of the porch that has old oil based paint on it.

So any advice on a suitable primer, undercoat if needed, and a water based top coat would be great. :) An acrylic would be OK too as long as I can use it over existing paintwork. :)

Hope someone can advise.

Myles

Sponsored Links
I've been in touch with Screwfix about Leyland Trade Satin Fast Drying Paint.
They say I don't need a primer or undercoat with this. Just two coats of this onto bare wood will apparently do the job.

It's not suitable for overcoating existing oil based paint however. They are recommending I apply Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer to pre-painted surfaces before overpainting with the Leyland Trade Satin.

I've never used these products before and they are quite expensive. That's fine, but it would be nice to get a second opinion beforehand.

Any endorsements of above solution. Or alternative recommendations?

Don't know what colour you want, but Sadolin Superdec is a water-based opaque gloss which primes, undercoats and topcoats. Suitable for outside.

Quick drying, easy to clean up, and seems to resist blistering.

Suitable for previously painted surfaces as well as bare wood. All previously painted surfaces will need rubbing down, as always.

Any bare wood will need three coats usually. It covers quite well, and since it dries quite quickly you may finish an area in a day.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Sadolin Superdec. :) They include a White Satin finish in their range, which is what I'd prefer. I'm not a painter, and gloss has always driven me crazy as I've never been satisfied with the end result!

I found it at Decorating Warehouse. It's expensive, but if I can get away without needing the Zinsser primer for the previously painted gloss area, it would actually end up being cheaper! :)

EDIT. I've just checked out the product at the manufacturers site and they are recommending a blocker primer when using white -

"......To minimise resin and extractive discolouration of the coating (particularly with white and pale shades of Superdec) a blocking primer should be used...."

I've treated the bare wood with preservative, and a knotting solution to stop resin leeking. Do you think I'd get away without having to use a primer?

Sponsored Links
I don't get the no oil thing.

Oil based will last longer than any water based paint on external surfaces. Oil remains more flexible and will cope with climate extremes, rain, snow, froze and sun better than water based.

I would stick with the traditional methods- prime, undercoat and two top coats with a light scratch between coats.

I don't get the no oil thing.

Oil based will last longer than any water based paint on external surfaces. Oil remains more flexible and will cope with climate extremes, rain, snow, froze and sun better than water based.

I would stick with the traditional methods- prime, undercoat and two top coats with a light scratch between coats.

It's just a personal preference. I want to use something that stays white longer. Water based ticks that box. I also want to avoid using spirits for cleaning brushes as it causes me a problem. Again, water based solves that problem for me. :)

As for oil being more durable, you may well be right. However, the water based treatment I gave my fences has now lasted well over ten years. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back