water hammer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

When I turn on my upstairs cold water tap on my sink I get a hugh banging noise which I believe is called water hammer ? - it continues until I open up the cold tap on the bath - any ideas how to solve this ??

I have a combi boiler system - but obviously these taps are fed from the R/main....

Regards
Mike

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the taps washer first as it may've fallen off the tap spindle

Ok, so this could be two things i have in my head,
Number 1, let the tap run freely for a while, there could be a build up of air in the system that is causing the water flow to shudder and croat this noise.
Number 2, The pressure could be to high, and flowing through the tap to quickly wich is causing the components to rattle. You could resolve this by fitting prv to the pipework.

Sponsored Links
there r a number of things that cause water hammer. faulty incoming watermains isolating stop cocks or as already pointed out, faulty taps. loose watermains pipework, sometimes in roofspaces at the storage tanks can shudder. this can travel through the rest of the mains water pipework. valves fitted around the wrong way, though very unlikely it is still worth checking out. if a valve has a direction of flow it will be indicated on the side of it. i went to one job were an old lady report a faulty electric shower. it turned out she had another company out to sort out waterhammer. they simply turned down the stopcock resticting the water flow hench the shower locked out instead of burning itself out. also charged the poor woman 40 sheets :!: moral of the story, quick fix in't always the answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back