water in loft..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been in loft today to get down,,wait for it,,"The Xmas Decorations" after days of nagging from the wife..When in loft i noticed that a row of insulation,about 3ft long had water sitting on it. Loft is underfelted and directly above damp patch appeared to be dry,but the joist running up to ridge was very dark and damp all along edge..does this mean i have a loose tile or ridges need filling...

Sponsored Links
Suggestion:

1. Put wife (or video camera ) in loft.
2. Point hosepipe at roof.
3. Turn on water.
4. Observe source of leak inside loft space.
5. Get wife down from loft [optional].

Sponsored Links
Might sound stupid but if you have or can borrow some binoculars you should be able to see close up the broken tile/slate causing the problem.
It can be a ridge opened up ie;pointing over the top joining the next ridge tile so rain goes in. But unusual.

For those laughing about the binocs, have you ever seen a property surveyor at work? he / she has binoculars so they don't have to climb a ladder. I know I've worked alongside many in my building /roofing days.

My guess is it's a slipped or broken slate or tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back