Water logged garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio runs away from house and water is pooling at bottom of patio.

The water sits in this clay / mud for upto a day before slowly draining away, can someone advise on my options to stop this happening please.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 73323174684__11805FC1-63B4-4596-885F-9A79FB03227B.jpg
    73323174684__11805FC1-63B4-4596-885F-9A79FB03227B.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Difficult with clay and all the rain there’s been. Maybe some sort of French drain and shingle with a soakaway. Or deck it.

French Drain or Aco Drain discharged into nearest surface water outlet (usually downpipe)

Thank you for your replies, there is no water outlet anywhere near. So my next option would be French drain or soakaway I believe.

If i were to dig down 6 inchs or so and back fill with just shingle, would this surfice? Or do you recommended i look at installing soakaway in this area?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Soakaways don't work particularly well in clay. A simple trench backfilled with gravel will create a temporary store of water which will dissipate, albeit very slowly.

Soakaways don't work particularly well in clay. A simple trench backfilled with gravel will create a temporary store of water which will dissipate, albeit very slowly.
Ok Great, thank you for advice, I shall try this .

Having a trench with stones will just delay when the water comes to the top again
thank you, i guess this is my only option without digging up whole garden to lay drainage. I shall give it a go

Can I suggest you do a trial dig to see how deep you have to go to get below the clay layer (if at all). If you can get below the clay into sand or gravel a french drain at that depth will suffice.

Update: I have dig a French drain along patio edge, about 12" deep, back filled with membrane and gravel. Lots of rain last night and as you can see flooded. Any advice greatly received. Thank you.

Attachments

• flood.jpg
    flood.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 30
Quite possibly. You can ask the neighbours if they know where the clay stops (if at all) might be a foot might be many but that's the first step, have a dig see where you get to. There are methods of treating the soil but that often entails treating the whole garden and it can be expensive and extremely labour intensive, you can drain into a surface water drain but strictly speaking you shouldn't without the water company's permission (which is very unlikely to be granted anyway) though some people do.

Quite possibly. You can ask the neighbours if they know where the clay stops (if at all) might be a foot might be many but that's the first step, have a dig see where you get to. There are methods of treating the soil but that often entails treating the whole garden and it can be expensive and extremely labour intensive, you can drain into a surface water drain but strictly speaking you shouldn't without the water company's permission (which is very unlikely to be granted anyway) though some people do.
Thank you. My neighbours are new, so no good. I would ideally like to connect to drain on property, but its no where near. I have read soakaways are no good in clay soil, so no good. it seems French drain is only option, i could install underground drainage pipe to take water away from area, but no were to take it to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back