Water Pressure and Flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new 8.5 Kw, Gainsborough mains water fed, electric heated shower unit.

On switching off the unit after a test run I noticed it continues to slightly dribble cold water from the shower rose and will not stop!

The shower unit is rated at max 10bar water pressure, so I doubt if our local water pressure is that high!

What's noticeable is, when the bathroom sink cold tap is switched on, the water comes out really fast and strong and splashes every where, then drops back in seconds to a fairly poor flow!

I am not sure the reason for water blasting out, then falling off?

Sponsored Links
The tap problem is likely to be a restriction in the flow leading to it.

Check for dead legs in the pipework. Compressed trapped air causes the initial higher pressure at the taps...could also cause the phased shutdown on the shower to behave oddly.

I forgot to mention the shower functions ok! It's just the dribbling from the rose. It is not the shower unit as I have exchanged it for a new unit!

The bungalow, many years ago had a kitchen extension fitted. There was work around the the pipe work at the stopcock.

To explain. The rising main comes thru the floor. The stop cock is mounted 4" away horizontally. The main pipe work after the the stopcock goes horizontal for 6 inches, then it goes vertical via a big 'D' shaped 4" curve and doubles back on itself about 2"above the stopcock then disappears into the wall, which is the bathroom next door.. (Sorry, it is difficult to describe!).

When I sort the pressure and flow, will I sort the dripping rose! Maybe this 'D'shaped loop is the cause?

Sponsored Links
This may have cured the problem!

The stopcock only opened up 1/2 a turn. I have now stripped the valve and got it to turn a few turns. It seems lots better now! It was probably the sealing washer base plate not moving freely? At least I don't have the splashing and pressure falling off?
Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back