water pump on constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please can someone offer some advice?
We have a 20 year old heating system with Potterton boiler and lagged water cylinder.
We had the boiler looked at on Friday as the pilot would light but the burner wouldn't fire up- this is now fixed but ever since as soon as either the hot water or heating is on the water pump in the attic seems to be on constantly. It used to be intermittently noisy but never constantly.
We put the house on the market last week after having no problems for 6 years and this happens.
I have bled the radiators and am planning to get up into the attic to check it is securely attached/ insulated but the fact that it is on constantly is worrying me that the motor may pack up completely. We know the system is really sluggy and needs flushing/ replacing entirely but does anyone have any cheaper suggestions please as we can't afford that??
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I suspect the plumber may have wired the pump to a permanent live instead of a switched one during his work.

Your best bet is to give him a ring, explain the circumstances. If I'm right and he's anyway decent, he'll pop out and fix it free of charge.

Potterton used to advise wiring the pump to the timer rather than the zone valve when there were overheat problems, you probably just need a new pump and let the wiring be ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back