Water Softener over flowing!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The brine tank of my water softening system is overflowed with water. I haven't ever seen more than 6 inches of water in it. I took the drain line and injector lines off and cannot find an obstruction. I also manually started the regeneration cycle, when doing that the water level dropped by about a foot but there is still a lot in there. I'm really stuck here... Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
I expect one of the automatic valves is stuck, perhaps with a buildup of scale. Or maybe the motor that operates them has failed or jammed. So the recycling process had halted in the "refill the brine tank" position.

You may be able to get it serviced, if it is a major brand.

If the parts are plastic you may find you need an entire control assembly. Check the price of a new softener before spending much on your old one.

If you can dismantle the head you may find you can clean and lubricate it yourself and re-assemble with new "O" rings. The manufacturer might even sell a service parts kit. It is also possible that you will dismantle it and be unable to put it back together.

The 'reed' valves on the (most common) 'Aquatrol control valve can usually be replaced with a bit of messing about. Before you do that, check first that the ball-and-cup valve that (may) control(s) the brine-tank refill is not crudded up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back