Waterproofing a Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum but it seemed the most appropriate.

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom, and I am trying to determine the best solution for my needs.

The bathroom will have a ceiling mounted soaker head above the bath, but is not technically a wet room. However I want to ensure that it is sufficiently waterproofed and with young kids water inevitably gets everywhere!

Currently the room is down to bare brickwork on all 4 walls (1930's build) and has a reinforced 18mm WBP plywood floor.

My original plan was to install 12mm hardiebacker board onto the walls followed by Dural Durabase WP on the walls and just Durabase CI on the floor directly on to the WBP plywood. This seems a very good solution for effective waterproofing.

However, given the room is not a 'wet room', is this over the top?

I am not too concerned about the cost, although I don't want to spend unnecessarily and also not too concerned about the additional work.

Could I get away with just the hardibacker or just the Dural Durabase?
If not, what are the benefits of both?
What adhesive is best for both the Hardiebacker and the Dural Durabase?

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back