Wax oils or linseed oil on Floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our downstairs area is a wood floor and i have used Osmo clear oil on it in the past. I have just done it again as it needed redoing. I will also have a whole new load of flooring to oil when my extension is finished.

Anyway i was talking to the oak framer about oiling the oak frame and floors and he said don't buy the expensive wax oils, just use a basic linseed oil from somewhere like tool station. He seemed to think the oak needed oiling every so often for the floor (say 2 yrs) and so it was more cost effective to use the linseed oil.

What do you reckon. Has anyone used a simple oil to see how long it lasts compared to the wax oils ?

I have just run out doing my floor today and i had the area under the sofa to do only. So i just bought a small bottle of linseed oil and have finished it off that way. It looks exactly the same as the Osmo oil. I will wait to see how it dries. It won't get any wear in this area as it will be covered over, but i may just go for the new area of flooring in this linseed oil later in the spring when the extension floor is down.

I am assuming the wax oil is a tougher oil than the linseed, but it would be good to see first hand the difference because longer term you could save a lot of money. We have mostly wood floors downstairs and the big bedroom is now wood floor. I am going to do my office in wood flooring as well. So oiling all this is going to be pricey at £75 a 2.5l tub of Osmo oil. Prob need 3 tubs every 2 years. 5l linseed oil at toolsation is £28. So £225 v £56 every 2 years.

Sponsored Links
what linseed oil have you used if it isn't boiled it will never really dry out, just soak in
I would never use it for a floor it will just pick up dust and dirt for ever and a day. It will also seriously discolour and yellow over time. It also has very poor waterproofing properties.
Boiled linseed oil is modified to speed up the drying process, but still dries slowly. I have a friend who makes guitars and he uses boiled linseed and leaves them to dry for about a week between coats.
Either should only really be used as a penetrating oil applied in very light coats it also affords virtually no physical protection.
I would stick with the clear osmo or use something like Bona

probably be OK I have never used it though. I pretty much use Bona exclusively now, goes on quick re coat in 4 hours, walkable next morning full traffic in 24 hours a gallon is around 70 quid but in the grand scheme of things its nothing really, a gallon goes a long way. Looked after it will last up to 10 years. I always clean mine with bona cleaner it provides a slight lacquer coating each time which provides protection to the varnish finish.

Sponsored Links
http://www.floorsalesonline.com/bon...ueFfmAGFZjmoJSCJRA9mqCQRFMSGyTdYaAtf5EALw_wcB

Is this the product you use Chappers ? Seems ok, certainly better on price.

The bit which i don't like is the need to use a primer before application. Would i need to prime a brand new wood floor then ?

What about using this product where i have used, say the Osmo oil. Can i just switch over to Bona on my next bi annual top up oil ?

Yep that's the stuff
I've never primed always just sanded to 150 grit, they say just two coats, but I'm sure I read somewhere on their own tech sheets that the alternative is to just use three coats I have found it OK to give three if the first coat really gets eaten up . I always denib with 400 grit (literally a wipe over)after the first coat even though they say you don't need to and wipe down with a spirit soaked cloth.
Not sure what the score is on going over the osmo oil, my instinct is you might have to strip it off, but I would check with Bona.
Edit; Have a look here re not priming and also what you can't go over without stripping back heres the official tech sheet.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back