WC flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my toilet flush has developed a peculiarit. Sometimes it flushes and then the water stops filling the cistern, yet sometimes it fills with a great ferocity(it sounds like I've turned the cold tap on in the bath), doesn't stop at all and fills so violently it passes the overflow pipe. If I left it for 5 minutes I believe it would flood over the cistern into the bathroom. If I divert the water by turning on a cold tap, this will sometimes stop the water filling the cistern(with a very loud clunk) otherwise I have to stopit manually. About 12 months ago I fitted a new washer and it worked brilliantly until recently. I asked my neighbour( a man who does know what he's doing around everything watery) to have a look at it for me, he took it to bits and changed the washer again but I not convinced this is the answer as the loud influx of water is still periodically apparent. Sorry to make this post so long but I thought it best to explain everything. Any ideas? thanks
update on flush, new washer fitted, noise of flush still very loud(sounds like I've left lid off the cistern as it fills) great water influx does now subside as water reaches fill level but then water continues to fill cistern at slow rate with a soft hissing noise. I fel that if left for a couple of hours the water would reach the overflow pipe. I did try to fit a new ballcock and flush system but I couldn't find one that had the right length on the bit that goes through the cistern wall and connects to the water supply. Would a plumbers merchants sell this item with a variety of lengths? My neighbour said he had the same problem when he replaced his but he utilised the old piece into the new fitting, but due to the problems I feel this would not be a good idea. Talking about the water pressure, recently, whenever I use hot water and the tank refills, this also has developed a loud clunk upon total fill, which is heard all around the house. Also the tank in my loft, the overflow tank related to my heating? began overflowing, the whole ballcock system was changed by the plumber. All my troubles have happened recently, are they connected or is there something wrong with my outside pressure and is this a job for the water board? sorry to be so long! thanks

Sponsored Links
it does sound like you need to replace the whole ball valve. Turn off the supply, take the old one out and take it to a good plumbers merchant and ask for a complete replacement. Not difficult to fit and very satisfying. It does sound like you have high pressure so it could be worth getting in a plumber to do the job for you. Shouldn't cost more than £50.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back