WC to soil stack connection woes.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having some bother connecting my WC into the existing soil stack.

Original WC was sited right next to soil stack so just had a 90 degree pan connector with ribbed rubber on the end straight into 110mm soil stack collar.

After removing old WC and re-arranging bathroom my WC is now 70cm away from the soil stack. I was going to use a length of 110mm soil pipe then 90 degree pan connector onto WC.

Trouble is, previous owners have removed the seal from the soil stack connection. I removed one from a collar I had and it fitted the soil stack, but no matter how hard I try I cannot push the soil pipe into the stack with the seal in. Filed a 45 degree lead, lubricated, no go :( The pipe fits fine into other collars I have so I guess it's just a mismatch between seals/fittings.

I doubt very much that I'd get a new seal for my Hunter soil stack connection as all of the modern Hunter stuff is of slightly differnt design (same as collars I have here).

Only other way I could do it is to use 2 or 3 of those extension pieces :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12078

but I was concerned about having too many joints. Would this be considered bad practice?

Any other suggestions/methods?

Sponsored Links
Just some thoughts,

Does the 110mm pipe fit into the collar without the rubber seal ? If so you probably need a thinner seal - are using the same make seal ?
I would have thought a loo connector would have been too loose to fit inside a collar - I think they usually fit inside the 110 pipe so - are sure there isn't a piece of 110 pipe inside the collar ?

Finally you could get a "single collar pipe coupler" and stick it into the stack with PVC cement, giving you a nice new collar to work to. (this is better than just sticking the pipe straight in as it still gives some flexibiltiy while you fit the toilet.)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101624&ts=83642&id=13738

Yeah, it does fit into the stack with no seal. Oh and yes, there was a piece of pipe wedged into the collar which I have removed.

I'm guessing that the ID of the stack connection is slightly larger than that of the collar the seal came from and so causing a tighter fit.

They are different makes, but as I say I believe that the soil stack is too old to get equivalent. I had the same problem with a 32mm waste rubber, all of the modern rubbers were too small to fit tightly into the boss.

Good call on the coupler, is the plain end just 110mm?

Sponsored Links
Looks like pipe at the plain end - You best check at the merchants.
You definately can get 3M pipe with a collar at one end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back