Weak shower spray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower fitting on my bath which is fed from the cold tap and HW tank, which is situated on the same floor. The cold water tank is in the loft. I can have a nice warm shower as long as the cold tap is no more than a dribble, if I turn it up any more I get a very cold shower. Is it possible to get a valve or something that I can fit on the cold water feed to reduce the pressure to prevent this from happening.

Sponsored Links
You could fit a pressure reducing valve which would be continulusly variable, or an access water control valve. These have a fixed flow rate of 4, 6, 8, 10 etc litres/min. Manufactured by Reliance Water Controls ( www.rwc.co.uk )

Is it not possible to get the cold feed to the bath from the cold water storage tank for equal pressure ? if not then pressure reducing valve as Oilman's post.

I remember somewhere in this forum ChrisR quoting "pressure reducing valve will not work" I never fitted one so I don't know why wouldn't it ?

I remember somewhere in this forum ChrisR quoting "pressure reducing valve will not work"

It might be because it is feeding into a pipe pressurised by the hot water.

I hadn't read the original post properly, masona's change of supply from the mains to the tank is the right solution. I had assumed this was already the case.

There is, I think, a requirement that mixing showers in general are not permitted where one of he supplies (cold) is direct off the mains. So connecting it to the tank overcomes this as well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the tips guys,

A questions if I may. the shower is a gravity fed system as far as I am aware, and I have a head (shower spray to bottom of water tank) of 2-3m, which I would assume was adequate from the lieterature that I have read. However if I take the shower off the hook and increase the head by laying the spray upside down in the bath, the HW flow all but stops. Would you consider this normal?.

I understand what you are saying about feeding the CW from the loft tank, but at present that would require making a lot of mess in the bathroom. Mrs NStreet wouldn't be happy about that! So the pressure reduction valve would be the short term solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back