Weatherproof double socket

I assumed, but didn't know, that rcd's in consumer units are "passive".
Indeed they are. I suppose that, in most senses, it could be very 'inconvenient' if that were not the case. For example, my ('rural') supply quite often has 'power cuts' which last no more than a second or two, particularly if there is lightning in the area. If the RCDs in CUs were active, then things like fridges and freezers, IT equipment etc. which are meant to run continuously would not come back on, and that could be a problem if someone was not around to reset the RCD(s).

The small downside is, of course, that it equipment "that can do harm" if they burst back into like in a powercut is also used inside houses, plugged into ordinary (not active RCD sockets) (if one is concerned about that, one can use a plug-in active RCD adapter).

I raised the question because the advice on this forum over the years has generally been to extoll the virtues of active rcd's in relation to equipment that could cause the user harm if it (the rcd) remained "on" after the initial loss of power was restored, and the equipment was re-started by the user or itself. That's certainly why I sourced the MK active rcd socket for my own use.
I'm not sure about all makes, but I have personally not come across an RCD socket (or plug-in RCD adapter) that was not active.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Come to think about it, I seem to recall that we discussed this fairly recently, and that someone (maybe me?) asked why on earth anyone would want a passive one. I also seem to recall that the answer some one suggested was for running a pond pump. I suppose that would be one reason, but I can't think of (m)any other things one would want to run continuously from an RCD socket.

Kind Regards, John

Hi all. I went ahead with the work. The guy came and did a great job. Very quick and £60 as quoted. Would get him back to do other bits.

Here is what I have got, works perfectly...
Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_21.53.09.png

Sponsored Links
Is there a socket on the other side of the wall?

Why? I can't see what that has to do with you or anyone else on here apart from the OP.
Maybe you can't see, but at least 4 people can.

£60 is a bargain for that job. If you can find an electrician who will do ANYTHING for £60 then don't mess around, you'll only p155 him off and he won't come again when you really need him.
Think about it. It's at least an hour plus travelling plus overheads plus parts plus paperwork. Get real, mate.:rolleyes:
Yeah that quote is rediculously cheap imho!
For that money we don't even know if he is a time-served qualified spark with the correct test gear and paperwork.

Maybe you can't see, but at least 4 people can.
Here is the certificate. I have taken out all identifiable info. The chap was very genuine and did a very good job in my opinion. I would certainly use him again. I think someone asked, was there an internal plug socket behind the outside one he put in...yes there was, a double with a lamp and wireless point plugged in, so nothing with a heavy load.
Certif.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back