Weird Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across a stopcock like this? As you can see the handle has snapped off due to it being stuck solid. I've tried WD40 and mole grips but cannot get it to turn. I'm now thinking of turning off the external stopcock and replacing, but cannot find anything like it. Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
You'll not find a replacement for that beast.
Is the incoming pipe black alkathene?

can you 'scratch' the incoming pipe and are the scratches shiny? Might be lead as it looks like you have a lead pipe coming out bottom right

Sponsored Links
No, it can't be scratched. It's definitely some sort of plastic - relatively warm to the touch.

Well it's defo a replacement for sure, as Char said tho they don't make them like that any more. All you can do is replace for a standard stop cock and tee off into 2 pipes after it.

As mentioned though if that's a lead pipe bottom right then it may have to be replaced too. If that's not an option then cutting into the alkathene earlier on the run to leave that fitting alone may be what you need to do.

Thanks for your help guys. I think Rob's idea of putting a stopcock onto the alkathene pipe is the way to go, cheers.

I think Rob's idea of putting a stopcock onto the alkathene pipe is the way to go, cheers.
Be prepred for it to be a bulky fitting due to it being imperial-size alkathene pipe.

A less space-consuming way might be to use a screwed stopcock with an alkathene adaptor to the alkathene and a male branch tee or male end tee at the other. That will then give you 2 outlets from the stop cock.
Won't be cheap!

Or you could re-arrange the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back