Weird tripping in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have a weird problem in my house thats just started happening and wondered if anyone could enlighten me before I get a sparky in to have a look.

We live in a town house, 3 floors, and I recently put some fitted wardrobes into the top bedroom. Now for some reason and intermittently the power is tripping out. It doesn't happen as soon as you plug in, it can happen 30 minutes in and only some of the power is tripped. When I went down to look at the circuit board all the trips were on and the one marked 'tails' had tripped. Some of the circuits were still working including some lights and the power sockets. The upstairs sockets that had seems to be the cause hadn't tripped their MCB, only this one called tails. (its a big MCB). Its just done it now when I switched on the plug in my daughters bedroom, the sockets stopped working and the lights on the first floor and the lower sockets??? Its very weird, I would have thought that the MCB would trip.

Now I did drill into the walls to secure the wardrobes but not deep and nowhere near a power socket... I did drill the other side of a light switch through a plaster wall but can't believe I snagged anything but why would the sockets stop working.

Apologies if this is an obvious fix, I am a DIYer and trying to work this out logically.

Thanks Muchly.

Sponsored Links
Does the switch that trips have something like RCD or RCCB printed on it, with a small test button?

If so, when it's off, what circuits in the house don't work?

Cables can only be just below the surface of a wall, so it's easy to drill them.

Also, concealed wires are permitted to be buried in the corners of walls away from electrical accessories.

I take it the wardrobes are finished?

If there's any areas of the wall where you think you may have drilled through a cable, with the power off you may be able to carefully make a few test holes in the plaster to see if a cable is nearby.

Of course, the fault may not have anything to do with the wardrobes. A faulty appliance or an outside fixture letting in water are just a few examples of common faults.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back