WETROOM WALLS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in charge of choosing everything for my new tiny wetroom. By tiny I mean it is literally 1200 x 1200. Really just a toilet with a shower handset on a riser rail. I have builders doing the work but it's up to me to make all the decisions and to pay for it all :)

So, my query is, how to finish the walls? Originally I thought tiling, but they say that will cost £700. So then I discovered waterproof wetroom/bathroom panels, but they have costed that up and that also comes to £700. That seems an awful lot of money.

Does anyone know a more budget-friendly way to waterproof the walls of my tiny wetroom?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
What are the walls at the moment- brick or plasterboard or bare studs?
What height have you got?
Assuming 3 sides 1200, 1200, 1200 height 2400 you've got about 9 square metres. £80 per square metre sounds a bit rich to me for tiles, if they've quoted £80/sq m for those plastic tongue and groove boards they're having a laugh. More info needed ..

What are the walls at the moment- brick or plasterboard or bare studs?
What height have you got?
Assuming 3 sides 1200, 1200, 1200 height 2400 you've got about 9 square metres. £80 per square metre sounds a bit rich to me for tiles, if they've quoted £80/sq m for those plastic tongue and groove boards they're having a laugh. More info needed ..

The walls are mixed. Three new stud walls, one old brick wall.

The height is yet to be determined. We are making the wetroom out of part of the existing kitchen but my builders think the ceiling is too high and suggest putting a false ceiling.

Perhaps your choice of tiles is one of the factors inflating the costs, I'm sure you can find decent tiles cheaper, £35 m²

My FIL is looking at shower wall boards, can't say I like the designs I've seen so far, and they cost a fair bit, you may need trims to finish them nicely etc, that said, I think they go up quickly as they are only bonded onto the walls.

I would keep the tall ceilings... height creates loftiness, and in a 1200mm² room you need not to feel trapped!

Good luck (y)

Sponsored Links
Hi Chibs and thanks for the reply.

They did not even get round to asking me to choose any tiles; they just said tiling the wetroom would cost £700 (materials and labour). I'd be more than happy with cheap tiles. Maybe I will ask them what price tiles they used for their estimate.

For me personally, I'd pick tiles over the wall boards. I think the choice is better and prefer the final look... well, as long as the tiler is a good one.

Buy your own tiles (if you find ones you like) find your own tiler too, it's bound to be be cheaper.

Good idea. I will go with tiles. I don't think they intended to do the tiling themselves, so I may have to find a tiler

Given professional trades persons:
If all the materials are on site & all prep is done & plumbing is fixed then tiling and grouting should take a morning.
Most modern residential tiling is done with large tiles.
2400mm is a common room height.

However, what you describe is a mere shell construction. Why not post pics of the site as is? And a sketch of what the finished proposal will look like?
And wet rooms can come with their own time consuming difficulties.

The customer makes all decor choices.

If all the materials are on site & all prep is done & plumbing is fixed then tiling and grouting should take a morning.

However, what you describe is a mere shell construction. Why not post pics of the site as is? And a sketch of what the finished proposal will look like?

The site is currently a kitchen. The walls have not yet been built.
And my drawing skills are so bad there's no way I would post my kindergarten-like efforts online!

Tell, I have already ordered these tiles for the floor of the wetroom. They are incredibly cheap, even after paying shipping. Presumably they would "do" for the walls, or would such large format tiles look silly in such a tiny room?

Yes, use them on walls and floor.
Believe me, in modern tile terms, they are no way large format tiles. They would not look silly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back