WF740 Door Lock Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WF740 Washing Machine - shut door, select programme, and programme doesn't start. Problem seems to be that the light that normally comes showing the door is locked doesn't come on - so the programme won't start. Thing is, the door IS locked because you cannot open it until you turn off the the washing machine and wait the usual time for the timer to allow you to open door. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Check motor brushes poss worn then check the button hasn't come off the pcb.

Ok Thanks - Had a look at one of the brushes and there seems to be only about 4mm-5mm left at the "thin end" and less than 8'ish mm at the "thick end". When in place, it looks like it may might "just" not be touching, hence the intermittant working I suppose. Just going to order the brushes and will let you know how I get on.

OK - got the brushed this morning, changed them - took just a few minutes, door locked ok, and is currently going through its first cycle.

At the moment, it is "squealing" quite a bit - would that be normal while the brushes "bed-in"?

Sponsored Links
Yep , once it's done a few full spins it will be back to normal.

Yes - thanks - done three washes and the pitch has reduced from a high squeal to a low tone, sound like it is almost back to normal - voila!

Must admit, was a bit unsure about your initial advice that the brushes would cause the door not to show that it has locked - very odd - but sure enough, if the door doesn't lock - likely to be the brushes !!!!

Thanks very much.

Yes - thanks - done three washes and the pitch has reduced from a high squeal to a low tone, sound like it is almost back to normal - voila!

Must admit, was a bit unsure about your initial advice that the brushes would cause the door not to show that it has locked - very odd - but sure enough, if the door doesn't lock - likely to be the brushes !!!!

Thanks very much.

Ouch - another little problem.

The machine goes through it's wash cycle, but when it comes to the final spin, it doesn't do it - it just simply runs down the timer to the final minute, 00:01 and stops. The washing is still wet, so clearly it doesn't go on to the final spin for the programme. There is no fault code coming up, HOWEVER, if you then put it on a manual 15 minute spin, it spins and drains absolutely fine.

I can't see that this is a a blockage as it wouldn't do a 15 minute spin, so what could be the cause of this?

Check the heater wire has not come off and check connections on pcb you may have dislodged a wire.

Thanks rocks - In the meantime I have turned the machine upside down, and taken off the jubilee clip to the drain hose to reveal the plastic ball.

There were three plastic sandwich bags wrapped around the plastic ball which may have been preventing proper drainage - I am also three quid up! So we've got it on a 30 minute "L" programme to see what happens.

If it's still a problem - I will do as you suggest.

Ok - it would appear that the bloockage I cleared was the problem, as it has now gone through a cycle, with drain and spin!

So I guess that when I turned the machne on its top to do the brushes, the plastic bags re-positioned themselves. I don't really understand why the cycle didn't like to go onto the spin whilst putting the machine straight onto a 15 spin worked, if the plastic bags were causing a blockage ...?

But everything seems fine ... for now!

Good but you must never tip any mc upside down the brushes can be done with the motor off and the filter can be done underneath , when u tip them up water can go up presure pipe and water can go on to electrics.

Check motor brushes poss worn then check the button hasn't come off the pcb.

Cheers for this. We had the same problem with the door lock....after reading your advice, i ordered new brushes and it is fixed..Thanx, saved me having to buy a new washer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back