What’s the thinnest practical floor screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve knocked down two walls to open up a room. The floor is uneven and un-level with a drop of three inches from the high point to the low point. I want to use a sand screed to level things up but don’t want to raise the height of the high point. The high point slopes gently down for half the area then drops to the low points. It’s a big job to dig up the higher level to get a cut in so I am looking for a way to feather the screed in. I was thinking along the lines of laying a 1” batten to screed up to from the low point. Then maybe use a levelling compound to get from the batten level to the high point level. Any different suggestions and what is the thinnest practical depth for a screed and with what mix? Floor tiles will be laid ontop of the final screed.

Regards,

derek..

Sponsored Links
You may be glad to know that your floor almost qualifies as a hill with a three inch drop like that !!
You have probably got the right idea with the batten method and if you put it about 12" from the high spot and level it with a spirit level and then screed everything beyond it you will only need to fill a 12" strip going from 1" to zero to get a level floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back