What alternatives to fitting quadrant on wood type floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to refurbish whole house with wooden/laminate floors, however I hate the nasty stuff you have to install against the skirting to cover the expansion gap. My current plan is to remove all skirting (hopefully without splitting the wood) lay floor and re install skirting, but am hopeful some bright spark out there has already thought of a much better alternative?

Sponsored Links
Flat beading!
Leave your skirtingboards in situ, install the floor, leave an expansion gap in front of the skirting and pin the flat beading to the floor so it covers the gap. Very neat finish, we use it for almost all our clients.

Sounds interesting, but then the floor has nowhere to expand to! Maybe if its fixed to the skirting it would work?

Sponsored Links
The floor can expand and shrink as much as it wants, the beading is pinned on it (tiny pins! or even double sided tape). It will move with the floor - working as an early warning sign there is movement.

In some cases, especially with solid floors and in extreme circumstances, the beading will lift up from the floor. Pin it back - after you checked and solved the cause of this extreme expansion.

To be honest, we hardly ever have to pin back the beading on wood-engineered floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back