What Boiler to replace a Ravenheat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having lurked here for a few months I have decided that there is no better place to get a second (and third, forth and fifth!) opinion on a prospective boiler upgrade :)

My first post so be gentle, lol! Anyhow, I've nearly finished renovating my house and I want to replace the central heating boiler. I currently have a failing Ravenheat RSI 820/20 combi boiler. It's been in for nearly ten years and just about done it's job although it's on its second pump, third diverter valve and third set of microswitches. So having experienced Ravenheat I'm looking for something possibly more durable and efficient.

The house is a red brick Victorian semi spread over three floors, boiler downstairs with eleven rads as follows:

Ground Floor:
Lounge:1400x600 D, dining room:1400x600 D, hall:1400x600 D, kitchen:600x600 D, shower room (UNDER CONSTRUCTION): probably a small Towel radiator and shower.

Middle Floor:
Main bedroom: 1400x400 D, middle bedroom: 900x400 D, back bedroom: 1000x400 D, bathroom: medium tower radiator and full-blown tap shower.

Top Floor:
Front bedroom: 1400x400 D, rear bedroom: 600x600 S

(D=double, S=single rad)

The rads currently have standard lockshield valves but will be replacing them with thermostatically controlled jobs when I upgrade the boiler.

I'm also undecided as to what type of shower to fit in the ground floor shower room. We will be having our cold water supply upgraded to the blue pipe this Summer so water pressure should be a bit higher than it is at the moment.

I want to replace the Ravenheat with another combi boiler and I have a budget of £1500 to get a boiler and also perhaps a shower for the ground floor shower room. I have absolutely no idea what type of shower, electric or otherwise as work has not commenced on the room at all yet, so it is completely open to suggestions.

I've looked at a number of different boilers but keep going back to the Vaillant 831 condensing combi.

Like I said, I like the look of the Vaillant 831, but what would you go for if you were in my shoes? All suggestions appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
since where going down this route
main good boiler at the price
ideal arn`t well know for their reliabltiy in past so
jurys out on this new boiler we see what happens in few years time
but goto faq and you will see list boilers and how they been rated

I'm also reasonably imprssed with the Baxi Duo-tec 40 Combi HE Boiler, seems a decent bit of kit too.

Sponsored Links
I am of the opinion that alot of these 5 year warrantys offered by manufacturer's probably will not amount to a bag of beans ??
Boilers choose one with a stainless steel heat exc Not ally , you might enquire as to wether the company use service agents for inwarranty work ? British gas service listed ? made in the U'K maybe ? We generally use Johnson & Starley boilers , not bad people to deal with !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back