what car should I buy for £10,000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
My sisters looking to change her car for something a bit smaller. At the moment she's driving a Ford Galaxy but wants to buy a smaller car for around £10,000. A good car, cheap on the insurance and reliable, big enough for a sister and three kids. Should she buy a new car and keep it for a few years or buy nearly new? anyone know of any good offers etc? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
tell her to keep the galaxy ;) and her cash,

galaxy owner here aswell. :D

What sort of car is she after, smaller MPV, Hatchback, Estate, Manual, Auto, Petrol, Diesel etc?

looking at diesels really, she's thinking of a Hyundai iX20, she was offered a part x and £2,000 to pay but she doesn't really want a new car. She been looking here and there at anything and everything when she gets a chance. The Galaxy is a great car and she's happy with it but the insurance is at £1,100 (anyone know a good insurance company for Galaxys)!

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a Peugeot 406 estate if she wants something fairly roomy. The 110 hp 2.0 litre 8 valve is the best one, they can be good for 300,000 miles will do 60 mpg and cost a lot less than £10,000.

yes, I had a 405 SRDT estate for many years and I it was the best car I ever had. Think I had the same motor as the 406 when it first came out

looking at diesels really, she's thinking of a Hyundai iX20, she was offered a part x and £2,000 to pay but she doesn't really want a new car. She been looking here and there at anything and everything when she gets a chance. The Galaxy is a great car and she's happy with it but the insurance is at £1,100 (anyone know a good insurance company for Galaxys)!

im with privelige,
on the link below there is a thread about the differing cost of insurance from various forum members.it really is amazing how much certain people are being stung.

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?

Unless she has money to chuck away, she should avoid a new car, depreciation is a killer specially on things like Hyundai's. Won't be able to trade it for a toaster in 3 years.

Look for either a year old car with what remains of a long warranty, and avoid the first lump of depreciation. Maybe a Toyota Auris 1.4 diesel, if she times it right it could be one that came with the 5 year warranty, and so have 4 years left. I have a Yaris 1.4 d, and the economy is great, not fast but good enough. If you are really clever, you an find a model that has just been replaced by a face lifted version, as they will loose a little more value just for that reason.

Otherwise get a car that is just out of warranty, and avoid 3 years of depreciation. You may find this the better choice, as you will get a better quality car that is still modern for not too much money. Then grab a cheap warranty from warranty direct, as their warranties are a look more inclusive than any others.

Focus 1.8 TDCi
Golf Bluemotion

Sponsored Links
Back