What clear adhesive for camper van bumper crack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest an adhesive for gluing a crack back together on a bumper on a camper van please?

I will be fixing some hot staples to the back of the bumper as well, so was just thinking I might glue it as well, to fill the crack.

I think the bumper might be ABS (but stand to be corrected), it's a hard brittle type plastic.

TIA

Chips

Sponsored Links
You'll find that good old superglue is fine for ABS or Araldite epoxy works well too.
Do try to reinforce behind the crack if you possibly can.
A body shop can make your bumper as good as new for a fraction of the cost of a new one if you like.
John

If it is ABS then use acetone, this will melt the plastic together. ABS is the usual plastic for bumpers, but I wouldn't describe it as brittle, although years of weathering will have removed a lot of the plasticisers.

Its the kind of plastic that you could snap in half. Perhaps it's not ABS. Apart from being grey (moulded) it's like the plastic trim bits/light clusters, on caravans.

Sponsored Links
I think there's a very good chance that your bumper is ABS...it may have a symbol somewhere?
Anyway, ABS can bend to a high degree and then just snaps - unlike acrylic which is much more brittle - you could well find that on lamp lenses.
ABS also has a 'plastic memory' where, if you have an incident the shape can reform with the application of a heat gun - I've been so impressed when bumps simply remove themselves with careful heating.
Thickened super glue may help if the joint isn't absolutely perfect.
John :)

I have had success with this holding a bumper in place.

They may do it in clear?

Back