What does X300 do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is new, well 4 years old, and seems to be complicated. The downstairs bit is Potterton and heats the water for the radiators and works fine. The upstairs bit is Gledhill and heats the water for the showers. It has stopped providing hot water twice now. The first time it just needed a new sensor wire, this time my plumber has tried that again, but still no hot water. He said that it may be caused by scale that has damaged the thing that heats the water as it passes through it. He told us to chuck a bottle of X300 into the tank in the loft, then wait 4 weeks and drain 2 buckets from near the damaged thing. I still dont have hot water. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Gledhill technical are very good and their number can be found on the internet. Your plumber could be correct that the DHW plate haet exchanger could be blocked. Depending on model they are all easy to work on. Normally if you make the DHW pump go live this bypasses the pcb and sensor and should produce hot water at the tap, if not, then its a blocked exchanger. if hot water works you have either a sensor again(very common) or at worst pcb board. running the onboard diagnostics can also help with the fault findingon the board.Read the manufacturers instructions for this.
Lee

X300 is for flushing NEW systems immediately after installation. X400 for sludge or X200 for limescale MIGHT be more appropriate although I dont think that is likely to be the problem.

I am sorry to disillusion you but most people call something "new" when it has not been used or in the case of a car or boiler when its only a few months old. Out of guarantee is NEVER thought of as new!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back