What Drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on what drill to buy. I have read most of the drill topics in this forum but I am more confused now. I want a corded drill that will go through the usual materials you find in a house – concrete lintels, masonry, plaster board etc. I am not a serious DIYer, having said that, when I do want to drill into something, I want to be able to do it fairly easily and without damage to my wrists! or the drill bits. My budget is I suppose between £60 - £100 (more if the general consensus says so) bearing in mind I won't be using the drill that often. So do I go for a SDS drill (I am aware I will need special SDS drill bits) or a Percussion drill? I get the impression that Makita are pretty good and so would be happy to go with one of their drills unless advised otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo Bond28 and welcome

appart from the exception of concrete lintols a hammer [percusion is the same]drill off about 800w will do pretty much what you need

an sds will be heavy and overkill for all but the "heavy" jobs :cry: ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all that. I am more inclined to go for the SDS drill - that Makita looks a bit of a bargain why; why so cheap?. I need to put up some curtain rails above some windows next and will need to drill into the concrete lintels. If a percussion drill will fail to go through this, then an SDS it is. I can then buy a cheaper cordless drill a later date for all those minor jobs.

Thanks again

a normal percusion[hammer] drill with a good quality masonry bit has a fair chance off drilling several lintels no probs but then you get the odd ones and your stuffed regardless of how many holes you try ;)

Having used the wrong tool, andpaid for it with a leg broken in 4 places, I would definitely go SDS. I now have one and i use it when I am drilling walls which fight back when using even a good percussion. They really are chalk and cheese

It's also useful to have a light and handy drill. Most often DIY jobs don't need a great heavy thing.

Bond28 said:
ISo do I go for a SDS drill (I am aware I will need special SDS drill bits) or a Percussion drill?
SDS Plus. If you don't use it much it will outlive you, and you won't regret it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back