What Floorboards To Use And How To Cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace some floorboards on 1st floor of my house.

I can seem to get floorboards that are near perfect (I need 22mm thickness and 140-145mm width).

Homebase do Sawn treated softwood - 150mmx22mm - which is great as I can just circular saw the width I need. But is this good enough for floorboard use. It states it is ok for "non structural internal work, such as carcassing, boxing in, battening and framing" ..... So floorboards are ok?

I note the tongue and groove style floorboards it sells look very similar and are thinner etc.

The other alternative is to get C16 timber, 145mm width, but 45mm thickness - but cutting 45mm to 22mm I dont think will be easier.

I only need to replace a few floorboards here and there, but a couple will be in daily used hall areas, e.g. Outside bathroom - so is sawn treated OK, or do I need to hash the C16 down to size? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you don’t use tongue and groove boards, expect draughts as they open up- which they certainly will do.
22mm floorboards are readily available - timber yards may have the best stuff, if you are able to select it yourself.
John :)

If you don’t use tongue and groove boards, expect draughts as they open up- which they certainly will do.
22mm floorboards are readily available - timber yards may have the best stuff, if you are able to select it yourself.
John :)

The rest of the floorboards aren't tongue and groove so not going to re-do the whole house.

I've contacted the timber yards near me. Some talk about accepting even the smallest orders - so fingers crossed.

If timber yards are no go, will a few softwood based floorboards as per my op be enough?

Sponsored Links
If you're laying a new floor, it's a good time to clean out and insulate underneath. Using mineral quilt, it will also block draughts, and can be squashed to fill irregular gaps between the joists, unlike foam slabs. Pay extra attention to the edges of the room, as dirty draughts blow up behind the skirting.

Also unlike plastic foam, it is not flammable.

Do any plumbing or wiring while you have it up, and clean out any airbricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back