What, if any, mandatory paperwork should be issued

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having some electrical work done on my house - fundamentally installation of some additional outside lighting. Is it mandatory that the contractor provides me with any paperwork at the end of the job? I've researched it a bit, and I think that a Minor Works Certificate *should* be issued, but I don't know if this means *must* be issued. I suspect that I won't be offered any paperwork at all, based on my interactions with the contractors so far, but it would be useful to know what their obligations are with regard to the paperwork before I ask them.

Thanks a lot for reading.

Sponsored Links
I'm having some electrical work done on my house - fundamentally installation of some additional outside lighting. Is it mandatory that the contractor provides me with any paperwork at the end of the job? I've researched it a bit, and I think that a Minor Works Certificate *should* be issued, but I don't know if this means *must* be issued. I suspect that I won't be offered any paperwork at all, based on my interactions with the contractors so far, but it would be useful to know what their obligations are with regard to the paperwork before I ask them.
Virtually nothing to do with domestic electrical work is actually explicitly 'mandatory'. The only real legislation is Part P of the Building Regulations, and that's just a couple of sentences which basically just says that electrical work must be undertaken 'safely'. Associated guidance (which, in itself, is not law) indicates that one way (in fact, the usual way) of demonstrating compliance with that legislation is to comply with the Wiring Regulations (aka BS7671), which does require the issuing of certificates etc. - but, as I said, there is no compulsion to comply with BS7671.

However, I think you should be very suspicious/cautious about anyone undertaking electrical work who is not prepared to issue a Minor Works Certificate (or Electrical Installation Certificate, as appropriate). You, I or anyone else can theoretically issue such a certificate, so it's difficult to understand why anyone calling themselves an electrician would not be prepared to!

Kind Regards, John

Could be tax dodging, but more likely as you say they are not confident in their own work. I am getting a lot of flyers through the door later from handymen that call them selves plumbers and electricians. As far as I am concerned you either train to be one or the other. Of course there are cross overs but I am always very wary of the so called we do it all types.

Thank you both for the replies. I shall ask for the paperwork, and see what happens. It's a slightly complicated issue as the guy is a (pretty nebulous) friend of a friend who needed some work, and I don't want to make things awkward for anyone. However, he's also (apparently) a professional, registered, electrician, so there should be no issue.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the replies. I shall ask for the paperwork, and see what happens. It's a slightly complicated issue as the guy is a (pretty nebulous) friend of a friend who needed some work, and I don't want to make things awkward for anyone. However, he's also (apparently) a professional, registered, electrician, so there should be no issue.
As has been said, it could be related to his desire to avoid any paperwork at all (is this a 'cash-in-hand' arrangement?). As you imply, the fact that he wished to work illegally (tax-wise), if that's what it's about, wouldn't necessarily mean that he was a bad or incompetent electrician - you'd need other means of judging that. Getting 'friends of friends' to do work is always a potentially touchy subject!

Kind Regards, John

Hello,

Nope - not cash in hand - Payment will be by cheque. I don't think it's a tax fiddle. I shall let you know how it goes when I request the paperwork...

Thanks again.

Nope - not cash in hand - Payment will be by cheque. I don't think it's a tax fiddle. I shall let you know how it goes when I request the paperwork...
Ironically, that would probably worry me more. If he's not trying to hide the fact that he made money by doing the work (i.e. a 'tax fiddle'), then any other reasons for his not wanting to issue certificates for his work must give rise to some potential concerns!

Kind Regards, John

It's not so much that he has declined to provide any paperwork - I haven't yet asked for any. The purpose of my query was to determine what it would be reasonable for me to ask for. The work looks to be ok (I'm not a qualified Electrician, but I am a qualified Electronics Engineer, with experience of industrial control systems). I used to do my own domestic wiring, but the various complications of Part P coupled with the fact that I might be selling my house soon mean that I want to avoid any potential for problems.

Also, as a non-sparky, I have experienced the full force of the Militant Professionals over on the Screwfix forum when asking questions of an electrical nature ;)

As you note, the 'friend of a friend' aspect is the spanner in the works - I wasn't hugely keen on employing the guy, but a good friend asked if I could do his good friend a favour, and to decline would have appeared churlish!

Cheers.

Steve.

It's not so much that he has declined to provide any paperwork - I haven't yet asked for any. The purpose of my query was to determine what it would be reasonable for me to ask for. The work looks to be ok (I'm not a qualified Electrician, but I am a qualified Electronics Engineer, with experience of industrial control systems). I used to do my own domestic wiring, but the various complications of Part P coupled with the fact that I might be selling my house soon mean that I want to avoid any potential for problems.
Fair enough. Any competent and adequately equipped (to undertake testing) electrician ought to be happy to issue an MWC or EIC for any work he has done. If/when you sell the house, you'll be asked whether any electrical work has been undertaken since 1st January 2005, and if you answer yes you'll probably be asked for certificates. You obviously can just say that you don't have any (particularly reasonable if it's true!), and it's then up to any potential buyer to decide whether that affects their wish to buy, or the price they wish to pay.
As you note, the 'friend of a friend' aspect is the spanner in the works - I wasn't hugely keen on employing the guy, but a good friend asked if I could do his good friend a favour, and to decline would have appeared churlish!
Sure - we've all 'been there', and it often works out fine. However, there can be tears, and strains on relationships!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back