What is "normal repairs and maintenance" of a conservatory??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Sorry for the random /vague question but I am going to buy a house, I had a home report done that highlighted a few issues. One of them related to the conservatory which is about 20 years old. The report stated it was "at an age where normal repairs and maintenance can be expected". Can anyone tell me what normal repairs/maintenance is with a conservatory?? I have never had one before so I don't know what the normal things that go wrong with them are or what sort of preventative maintenance I should be doing. Also, is a 20 year old a concern (I am aware how subjective a question this is as obviously some are better than others, I just mean, generally is this an age where conservatorys may need replaced)

Thanks for any help, I know this is a difficult question to answer when you can't see the actual thing.

Sponsored Links
Conservatives can start showing their age as early as 10 years if neglected and not cleaned regularly

Generally you'll be looking at the following...

Dirty polycarbonate or glass, moss/tree sap
Dirty rafters and cappings
Rafter end caps missing or broken
Warped ridge cap, sun damage
Warped gutters, sun damage
Gutter brackets snapped, snow loading
Roof joints opening up and leaking
Rubber gaskets perished or shrinking
Roof panels slipping down due to no anti slip brackets being fitted
Roof sheet end closers falling off
Gutter joints leaking
French doors settled and catching
Blown dgu's
Locks and hinges worn

That should be enough to keep you busy for I while

At 20 years old it would be getting close to being replaced but like you say this can be subjective

Thanks so much for the detailed reply!

To be honest I'm starting to have some doubts about this property I have another thread on here about cracks in the roughcasting and someone has said there might be been movement of the building!

If I was to make an (uneducated) guess I would say this conservatory is a cheaper version so might well be at the end of its lifespan, I have included a picture of it below.

Anybody have a rough idea what a ballpark figure would to replace a conservatory on a 3 bed semi. Again obviously I know this could vary by thousands of pounds I'm just wondering as I have no idea whether this would be 2 grand or 20 grand. I'm assuming that since all the structural/electrical/heating work has been done that the cost will be substantially cheaper than installing a conservatory from scratch?

Thanks again

2015-11-14 14.38.41.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-11-14 14.38.41.jpg
    2015-11-14 14.38.41.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
Very much ball park I would say to replace the frames and roof, using the existing base would be about 3.5 to 4k all in

Maybe gazman, dh frames or god on here could price up more accurately than me as I don't fit anymore, just do insurance assessments and repairs

I'd say anywhere between 3-5k, depending on what frames and roof you choose
If you opted for any of the self cleaning roofs, the parapet walls may have to be taken up as the pitch would have to be increased for the glass to function correctly
5k tops including the parapet walls work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back