What is the coverage of 1 ton of Type 1 MOT stone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know to answer the above question it depends on depth of existing base but I have lots of remaining Type 1 leftover as builder ordered too much. If I wanted to use the rest for garden patios and paving etc, what depth of foundation is needed (no vehicular traffic) and therefore how much coverage will I get?

And silly question but does Type 1 go bad ie solidify if not used as mine seems to look like a mixture of crushed concrete and stone and the excess quantity over my front garden mud seems to be getting harder to dig up (not compacted with a vibrating plate).

Sponsored Links
At 100mm thick you'd cover around 10m2
The fine dusty parts when wetted will start to solidify, but can be broken-up & reused.
See further down for correct answer :oops:

Thanks.

Is there much difference between the Type 1 ordered from a grabber lorry type company compared to the type ordered from a builders yard? I've found some rubbish bits of metal wire and stuff in my pile.

The type I've seen from the builder's yard seemed to be more stone. Hope I haven't received a pile of rubbish! The guy who ordered my type 1 has his own mini digger and uses the same grabber firm for all his work.

10 sq m at 0.1m depth for a 1 tonne (850kg) bag? It would float on water at that density :D
Nearer half that volume I think - & depending on compaction.
I see Wickes quote 0.6 cubic metres but their figures are quite optimistic.

Sponsored Links
Justin,

Please clarify further your comment because I've had a few people inc my paving installer tell me that 100mm is sufficient. How do you measure compaction when a whacker plate does it?

Also why do you say 1 tonne = 850kg, why not 1000kg?

Justin,

Also why do you say 1 tonne = 850kg, why not 1000kg?

850kg =
0.85 metric ton
0.836576 long ton
0.936965 short ton

Now - what's the difference and which do the quarries/suppliers use when quoting tons :?: ;)

A tonne of mot will cover aboot 5m² at 100mm thick.

That's also the conclusion I came to because when I spoke to our local quarry last week and enquired about coverage they said that for 1cu.m I would need 2 tons of ballast.

So that's 1 ton per 0.5 cu.m = 5m² @ .1m (100mm)

Ok and is 100mm more than sufficient as a base for block paving?
What about rear garden paving?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back