What joint for a tripod?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to make a tripod from 2x2 timbre. It's about a metre tall and 60 cm wide at the base. I'd like to hang a grow light (it weighs about 1 kg) from this tripod so the joint needs to be strong. What joint would you suggest?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Skunk?

Or on a more serious note does that light actually have a threaded tripod connection?

Sounds like they expect it to be suspended from a hook in a beam or the ceiling. Without seeing an example close up it is difficult to say, but I am thinking in terms of a wooden frame attached to the back at multiple points, with a female threaded adaptor screwed onto the bottom bearer. I have seen basic ones which are little more than a steel plate with a couple of screw holes with an appropriate threaded nut welded on (on tripod size). We bought some for a a restsurant job a few years back. I'll see if I can find the brand, etc

Sponsored Links
Is this American lamp for sustained use or is it [say] for short term use in a greenhouse?

Be cautious as importation tax from the USA can be steep??

Ken

Is this American lamp for sustained use or is it [say] for short term use in a greenhouse?

Be cautious as importation tax from the USA can be steep??I just posted a pic to show the attachment. I got the light from Amazon UK.

I plan to use the tripod and light indoors in late winter and spring

Ken
I got the light in the UK

Last edited:
Might be easier to make a plate then hinge the legs off it?

either make a hexagonal plate or buy a disc ready made.
You could do fancy woodwork similar to whatever a straight dovetail is called, with a pin, or but the type of hinge that screws in, like a hinged dowel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back