What paint for Concrete Ornaments?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find out what type of paint to use as I a have a number of Japanese StyleGarden ornaments around my pond including a bench. These are concrete and are finished in a Matt Jade Green. I thought of having a colour mixed in Smooth Masonary paint but have been advised that as rain'sits' on the bench the masonary paint would lift off. I want to keep the matt effect can anyone advise what type of paint to use?

Sponsored Links
Matt Masonary paint is best. You need to get black Masonary paint and totaly paint the ornaments then when dry you dry brush them in the colour you want them. When dry brushing the you dip your brush and then get some old cardboard and try get as much paint of the brush as you can, if you can put paint from the brush on your hand then keep getting rid of the paint from the brush. Then its like what the police do when finger printing. Its like dusting the ornament with the brush. It will pick out all the detail in the ornament.

Here is some I did.

CF1qinQmkKGrHqUOKpoE0VRseeQBNWWdiWhw_3.jpg

DSC_0032-2.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

That's a very nice technique you've got. Looks good.

Thats the type of finish that I want to achieve, can you just explain the 'Dry Brush' part of it>
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thats the type of finish that I want to achieve, can you just explain the 'Dry Brush' part of it>
Many Thanks

Ill try :LOL:

Dry brushing is where the brush is dry but still holds paint, after dipping the brush in the paint you need to try get as much paint off the brush as you can. I use old cardboard for this. Keep painting the cardboard until no more paint come off the brush, you may think that when painting the ornament that there is no paint on the brush but you will be surprised how far the paint on the brush goes and its not wet and seems instantly dry. It should leave all the detail dark and keep giving it coats until you are happy with it. I think them I painted had 2 or 3 coats.

Give it a try and see how you go and if you make a mess of it you can always repaint it black and try again.

hi i am new to this so please bear with me if i am doing iy wrong, what i would like to know is how you get concrete stone ornaments highligted, without the paintig and dry brushing, i want to just highlight the detail of the stone. i have bought some stone ornaments and they have like a black dust or something in the detail. can anyone help ? thanks gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back