What size lintel??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom that was traditionally two rooms, a toilet and bathroom which has long ago become one room with the stud wall removed.

This has left two windows in the room being different sizes and heights within the room.

I have planning to remove both for one long window.

The bathroom is on the first floor (last floor) and above the lintel there is only about 2ft at most of brickwork (solid double red brick) and a slate pitched roof.

The span is going to be 2000mm with 2400mm lintels being used. A long PVC double glazed window with then be installed after. About 650mm in height.

I am going to fit two side by side, but should I go for the 100x140 or the smaller 100x65.

Currently thinking the larger items.

I had considered 7x4 steels but now think that's OTT.

Building control will be inspecting this as it's part of other works due a little later.

Sponsored Links
The lintel will be carrying some roof load so this needs factoring into the equation.
Also, you need to bare in mind how it will look from the outside. A concrete lintel will look pants.
You will probably need something like an inverted 'T' solid wall lintel.

I've decided on 140x100 or 6"x4" lintels.

The house is rendered outside so no issues there.

I might add a few pics once fitted.

I've decided on 140x100 or 6"x4" lintels..
Should be ok provided there is a decent amount of masonry above the lintels.

Concrete lintels rely on a body of masonry above them to provide arching. if the wall plate were to sit directly onto the concrete lintel then I would say they were not suitable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back