What thickness of solid polycarbonate sheet for windows?

Hi

Sorry, can't keep up! Can we keep to metric please?

What do you recommend timber-wise to prevent excessive loading on the glass?

For excessive snowfall, we would clear the roof in any case before it changed to wet heavy stuff.

Sponsored Links
multiply by 25 to reach mm :D ;)

have you got a picture please and the measurements between front wall and back [house wall]
and how many 45x100mm roof supports are connected to the 100x25mm in the area above the window??

Hi

I know how to convert but can't be doing with it. Prefer to work in one dimension or the other rather than keep getting the calculator out! Have done all the measurements in metric.

Sorry no pic, but there's one rafter above the area above the window.

Sponsored Links
It's easy to make mistakes with frequent conversions back and forth between units.

Also simpler to think in one set of units than a mixture. Look what happened at NASA!

Hi Big-All

What's the verdict? Will snow bring the conservatory down around our ears?

you still have'nt told me what length the roof timbers are [the span ]less than 1500mm i wouldn't worry greater than 1900 dodgy

i assume there is somthing like 69x44 each side off the window and you have 100x20 rebated into the 69x44mm or at least big screws holding them together

Sorry Big-All, lost the plot there for a moment with the diversion into metric vs imperial.

'roof less than 1900 ... and if you have 69x44 each side off the window and you have 100x20 rebated into the 69x44mm' Yes, much more than this to support the glass/roof, so we seem to be OK. Phew! But will definitely be knocking off excess snow in any case (as we did with the old roof).

Thanks for your time, trouble and advice.

all i will suggest is you get your husband to hang from the timber again
measure the gap between top and bottom off the window and make the glazing 5mm less to avoid stress on the glazing

Hi again

Think I'll give him the day off!

We can reduce the size of glazing all round as there's a deep rebate, so thanks for that advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back