What to do about getting some privacy without spending loads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi

I have a bit of a dilemma, we have a 100 ft garden, and we are trying to sell up and move, but its taking its time to sell, so I think we will be in this house for at least this summer, the dilemma is, out neighbours have cut down 5ft apple trees that were against out fence during last winter, and the fence which belongs to us, is only 4ft high, which runs along down on the right for about 90ft, the problem is now, we have lost all our privacy since these trees have been cleared, when ever we sit on the garden our neighbours now can see and have caught them even looking at whatever we do in the garden, and its making me not want to even go out there now, it also doesn't help that they don't even talk to us anymore, because 2 yrs ago, they put up an illegal extension lean to, and we approached them about this as it was opposite our kitchen window, and they told us they where getting planning for it during the works on this, which I thought was unusual practice, turns out they didn't have planning going through,so they lied to us, and because we complained to them, then to the planning dept eventually, they decided we was not fit enough to speak with anymore, so it makes me feel so very awkward to even see them, I know they where entitled to cut the trees down, Im just upset because seeing as we are moving, and we don't have the ready funds to put a new 90ft fence all the way along, I really feel as if I cant sit or let my girls use the swimming pool out in the garden now, they even feel self conscious, the man next door is a pretty nosey fella, he always has to turn and take a look at us if we are out there, I wonder if anyone has some tips on what we could put up along the fence thats reasonably to give us some privacy back.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
weed membrane on stciks

i am being serious, but you take your time about doing it.

we had a similar problem with next doors kids so we put up trellis with russian vine, but although it grows quick put membrane behind the trellis first.

membrane not being solid lets wind through, plastic sheet wont. Obviously you need to put in lots of support for it and may be run a wire between the "sticks" for more support to menmbrane.

Trellis along the top to raise it ?
(90' of trellis is still a lot,though :( )

Divide the garden up and replace some of the fence to give a private area,although not the whole garden

Plant some leylandii before you move :evil:

PowerTool said:
Plant some leylandii before you move :evil:
Ya bugger !! Beat me to it !! Another beauty to plant is Sasa Palmata, a bamboo, Make sure you put a 2' deep "barrier" around it on your side first, then wait,,,, 1st year it sleeps, second year it creeps, then it leaps. I've seen a single stem go to virtually a field full in four years. That'll fek they're Fly-mo !! ;)
(and all because the neighbour loved his Leylandii, should've stuck to Milk Tray, fat git !!)

Sponsored Links
you dont have to screen the whole area just from the house so have 6 ft to the point the tree screened and maybe a little beyond

thanks all,

I did think of the bamboo plants, but that would take some time, i want instant privacy this summer, we have a a large pool set up in the garden, and we really dont want the Mr and mrs nosey's next door seeing us use it, example of what our neighbours are like, if I am out our my daughters are out there, he mostly ( hes a house husband) will always have to have a good long look at whatever we are doing, it making me feel so uncomfortable, i got a quote for a higher fence to be erected, and was gobsmaked, nearly £800 !!!, oh well my fault for taking on a big garden, cant afford to do that, was think of using willow screening that you can get from B&Q, and using 2x2 wood for supports, and spacing it out along the fence so giving some areas privacy, would this work do you think??.

What about something like a couple of Marquee against your fence panel if possible?
ca_2.JPG

There're quite cheap in Makro ( I think I saw a 12m for approximately £70) then take it down when moving or sell it!

:D

Well I went with the wicker screening, bought from B&Q, put up 2x2 timber frames along fence intemittent spacing, enough to give some privacy, and I must say it looks really nice, and the privacy its given is excellent, its only when you are up close it to, that you can see through, but when about 3ft away from it you cannot see through it , so I would reccommend this highly to anyone wanting some privacy or needs to cover up an eyesore ie compost heap.

By the way, neighbours did not like it one bit, not said a word to us, but my husband got the most filthest look from next door lady, she even made a comment to her friend who was picking her up in a car, hubby didnt hear what was said, but he said it was the was she looked at him, and turned to her friend and spoke, he definatly new she was talking about us, Charming eh, some people are just so nice, the wicker screening proberly does not fit in with their garden scheme, not posh enough for them maybe, sorry just needed to sound off about them, I know its not garden related, but hey, neighbours + Fencing = Garden :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back