What to do with this roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lean to 3.jpg
Hi all, we have a 1930's semi with this lean to on the back. It's a really useful space for us but the polycarbonate roof leaks as does the slate roofs on either end. I'd just like some advice on what to replace it with, please. Do I do like for like or should I replace the whole lot with a tiled roof? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at a "lightweight" roof alternative? "Guardian Warm Roof" is one such brand of many to choose from

Nozzle

obvious faults are a low pitch for sslate roofs. the poly and slate flashing at the house abutment is rough looking and the fascia is rotted or begin to go.so is the gutter.
youl have dificulties dealing with the abutment flashing going under the neighbours barge board.
the span over the glass framing is begin to sag.
the puttying is perished and maybe some of the galzing bars/rebated framing is going west to?
theres no full length widow sill.
the soil pipe will need flashing proply in any new or repaired roof cover.i cant see the wc branch and tee? or is it a 110mm down pipe with the soil pipe on the gable?

is it worth it to you to patch things up or strip it all off and start again

Hi guys, thanks for the info.
bobasd, we definitely want to strip and replace but just deciding what to replace it with. Also the soil pipe is now redundant so can be removed as our bathroom got moved around and the new soil pipe is round the side going in to a new drain.

cheers

Sponsored Links
You could convert it to a flat roof with a velux or lantern in it -tutn it into an orangery. I cant tell if the inner door fanlight is too high for that.

Make something of the fascia so isnt an ugly flat board, put in 120mm celetex as warm roof.

And Grp the roof.

Or as above guardian tiles to roof.

Flat roof with velux, sounds like a good idea, thank you.

Hi Triple
its going to depend on your budget and what you use
it for as to what you can do with it, I suggest
you go like for like with modern materials if you only
have a small budget.
It would be wise to look at other jobs above your lean to
while the roof is off ie. main house guttering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back