What to lay Hardiebacker onto??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folk, going to be doing our bathroom soon, Part of that is tiling the floor, The house is 1875 built and has good solid wood floors upstairs, What I want to know is can I place Hardiebacker 250 (6mm stuff) ontop the floorboards or do I need to lay a layer of ply down between them with the ply screwed and the hardiebacker glued and screwed????

Also silly question but I dont know, It says to use 1/4" trow with the hardiebacker how do I insure im keeping the 1/4" depth and not getting thinker or are you meant to drag the trow along the sub base????

Sponsored Links
You dont need to use cement board over a wood floor in good condition, even a T&G floor.
There are flexi adhesives and flexi grouts that will do a good job with your tile, fixing and sealing it to the wood surface.

Make sure that there are no bumps or high nail heads in the floor surface. Use your weight to test for creaking or sway. Run all taps/shower/WC combinations to make sure that you are not tiling in water hammer or pipe squeaks.

Spread adhesive with the flat edge of the adhesive trowel, and comb it out with the 1/4" notched side.
Keep the trowel almost upright but dont sweat it - you will find a natural position.
Run the combed adhesive all in the same parallel lines direction, dont go doing swirls and circles - but again , dont sweat it.

Best practice is to tile under the WC & any Pedestal - this will lead to plumbing work so you make the call: under or up to?

Come back here if you need any more help in laying a tile floor.

Hmmm ok, Maybe I wasnt clear, the current floor is solid floor boards. Been told you can NOT tile onto floor boards!!!!

friend over ordered some Hardiebacker so I bought some off him and few from Tradepoint so I have them sitting there so will be using them.

Plan is to rip the bathroom out run water, waste and electrics then reboard some of the walls and do the floor

Cheers for the advice on adhesive laying Ree

6mm ply is the normal way to go, is this hardibacker a type of cement board.

Sponsored Links
It looks made for the job I would just screw it down if your floor is already solid every 6" with 1" screws.

Kool well Hardie say to use flexible adhesive and screw then down, So looks like I will be doing that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back