What to now....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So decided to start decorating dining room, easy job I thought.

Giving the walls a gentle rub down and notice a bit of loose paint, no problem I thought I get rid of it and fill it.

It then just peeled liked wallpaper. Though there is no wallpaper underneath.

I've now got rid of all the loose paint,

Do I just feather in between the solid layer of paint with some filler and lining paper the wall?

Sponsored Links
If the paint came off so easily it suggests that the very first coat of emulsion wasn't thinned sufficiently.

You say that you have removed the loose paint but the rest might be compromised. I would spray/sponge the rest with water, leave it for a few minutes and see if it bubbles or passes the "fingernail test". If it does then carry on with the filler to feather the paint and then line.

When lining I often use the same paste to size the walls that I use on the paper. I apply both simultaneously (basically wet on wet). In your case, I'd recommend using the recommended sizing mix/ratio and letting it dry before using the full fat paste to hang the lining paper. If you see any bubbling after sizing the wall, scrape the old paint off and fill. Spraying the walls with water should be sufficient to find the weak paint but the size, being thicker than water, will stay on the surface for longer.

Thanks.

House was built in early 70's, was the original base that's peeled off.

It was odd that there was almost a perfect line of where the paint stopped peeling along with a couple of random patches.

Unfortunately I have already filled and feathered the edges and will be doing the sanding down in the morning.

The paint on the lower half seems solid enough it wasn't budging with nail or scraper. However I admit didn't wet the wall.

Will size the wall before papering and see what happens.

It was odd that there was almost a perfect line of where the paint stopped peeling

If the line runs horizontally, it possible that the room had a dado rail at some point? They were very popular in the 80's and 90's.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back