what type varnish ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have stained my skirtings medium oak followed by a water based varnish both from wickes...my joiner strongly suggests using an oil based varnish as my final coat of varnish rather than the water based 1 that i have used in the 1st bedroom ive done(2 to do still) should i take his advice and go and buy some of this or is the wickes water based varnish sufficient ? surely they wouldnt sell it otherwise...if i need to purchase an oil based varnish what do you guys reccomend/where from etc cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
You will find that an awful lot of off the shelf varnishes are now water based and are a lot better than when they were first produced. I have used the Wickes medium oak that you have and must admit it isn't one of the easiest to apply evenly but after a few coats it gets better and is fairly hard wearing.
However, an oil/solvent based PU varnish will be far more serviceable and hard wearing and gives a much smoother finish, especially a gloss one.
I find Johnstones is pretty good but the colours are only available in a gloss finish. http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/woodstains/varnishes/johnstones-polyurethane-varnish/79
You could use the Wickes varnish if you like the colour and finish it with a clear polyurethane.

cheers again mister... i also did purchased a solvent based varnish(local timber merchants) but made a slight mistake of not noticing that it was a satin finish! tried it on the small bedroom and its a far too shiny finish..think it was blackfriar...take it the gloss is the opposite then..duller finish etc...+ the wickes varnish i got is a clear varnish...will the likes of b & q do this johnstones varnish ? & finally whats the clear polyurethane you mention :)

Sponsored Links
You won't get Johnstones at B&Q - you'll probably need to go to an independent decorators merchants or order online.

Gloss is much shinier than satin, so if you find satin too shiny then I would suggest using a matt finish polyurethane or just stick with the Wickes stuff that you already have - it's not that bad.

You can use the Wickes medium oak as I suggested for the colour and just coat it with any brand clear polyurethane, which is just the oil based varnish recommended by your joiner. I think B&Q do Dulux Trade matt poly http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_polyurethane_varnish.jsp or Wickes do their own brand but only in gloss or satin http://www.wickes.co.uk/professional-interior-varnish-satin/invt/170758/ which may be what you already have.

Decisions, decisions!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back