What woodstain / system for timber fascia/ply soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
the chippies want to pretreat timber fascia and ply sheets for soffit before the boards are fitted and the ply sawn into strips.

Can anybody recommend a lasting and quick and sensible treatment for these

We will probably go for a wood stain kind of final finish rather than paint

Any advice appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a product that soaks in rather than just coats the surface.

I'd go for a product that soaks in rather than just coats the surface.

Thanks for responding once again to another of my posts.

Would that mean solvent based ?

I have been getting into this wood stain lark and it's doing my head in.

Sikkens (solvent based) hotline said to use HLS+ then Filter 7 top coat (blurb recommend 2 coats each) the i look at the finer print and it seems like they would recommend two coats of Cuprinol Trade Wood Preserver Clear (BP) to saturation prior to that even.
6 coats are you kidding me ?

Wondering whether to do the dulux water based
2 coats of Aquatech Preservative Basecoat followed by 2 (to 3) coats Dulux Trade Ultimate Woodstain. they say this is good for up to 10 years wheras sikkens say top finish good 5 years.

i hear that many people think water based is carp, but then the promo's say water based is now a lot better.

Any recommendations for any system welcomed

Sponsored Links
No, oils could be water or vegetable based.

I've been involved with properties, new build, that have had seemingly high quality and exclusive Sikkens products, which have flaked after a few years and the resultant water and UV has wreaked the timber.

You might be better off asking in the painting and decorating forum.

If you want it to last long put a small pencil tound onto all edges. Paint film thicknesses go down to almost nothing at a sharp edge. A 2 to 3mm radius corner will maintain film build around the corner. Dont let them do cuts and leave edges raw, use end grain sealer. Butt joints are best if edges are rounded so they form a V when pushed together.

Water based varnishes and paints wont cure quickly in low temperatures. Low build stains may be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back