What would you do with these switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are two redundant emersion heater switches on the wall in my living room. Behind the white wall was a cupboard containing the emersion heater which has long since been removed, but these switches were left. The wires come up to them from below.

Would you drop them down to the skirting level and turn them into a double socket or maybe just put a plate in front of them when moved? Are there any other options?

Sponsored Links
There are two redundant emersion heater switches on the wall in my living room.
Two? Not that it matters.

Would you drop them down to the skirting level and turn them into a double socket
I'd consider that if I wanted a socket there. Do you?

If you do, is the circuit RCD protected?

or maybe just put a plate in front of them when moved?
Surely a blanking plate lower down would look better?

Are there any other options?
Yes - disconnect the cable(s) further upstream, ideally at source (actually, ideally remove them altogether to where they head up into the plaster), and remove the switches.

Whatever you do do not remove the switches and plaster over, leaving cables in the wall with no accessories to create a safe zone for them.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

I don't know why there's two switches, but there are! We only moved in 8 weeks ago and there's plenty of strange things here.

I don't really need another socket in that corner, there's a single socket about 18inches on the left on the grey wall. I think the low down blanking plate may be the way to go - I didn't mean blanking it where it is, Ban-all-sheds, that would look dreadful!

An electrician will do the work, I'm just sounding out the options.

Sponsored Links
Does the flooring come up, or is it rip'n'skip laminate?

A quarter-round vertical radiator would look good in that corner, and free up wall space ;)

Probably peak and off peak immersion switches.

They are both almost certainly on their own circuits from the fuse board/consumer unit.

IF so, why not disconnect them at the mains (you may be better off getting a pro to do this for safety sake), then once dead cut the cables in the lounge and fill the holes in.

Hi, if they are back to back with the cupboard why not turn the round, i.e. switches in the cupboard and use the plasterboard you cut-out to patch the living room wall a tape and fill.

If the switch are left in place they will be safe or you could have a socket in the cupboard for the rechargeable torch :LOL:

Regards,

DS

Hi, if they are back to back with the cupboard why not turn the round, i.e. switches in the cupboard and use the plasterboard you cut-out to patch the living room wall a tape and fill.

If the switch are left in place they will be safe or you could have a socket in the cupboard for the rechargeable torch :LOL:

Regards,

DS

Where does it say plasterboard?

It doesn't doesn't say it's not ? so now who's making assumptions ! :D

Regards,

DS

It doesn't doesn't say it's not ? so now who's making assumptions ! :D

Regards,

DS

Yes........ :confused:

To do what you suggest would only work on a stud wall, as if it's a solid wall at normal thickness the cable would no longer be on the same side of the accessory so technically not in a recognised zone.

AFAICT.

Thanks for the replies. The floor is cheapo laminate laid over concrete, although the rest of the property has floorboards :confused: so I'm going to have to leave the rad where it is, updating it of course.

The wall is....block work and structural.

I like the idea of turning the switches inside the wall, but we're installing a shower on the other side.

I don't know why there's two switches
The switch on the right looks to be a heavier duty switch, the sort used to isolate an electric shower. If it has been used for that, it will be connected to a separate dedicated circuit with 6mm or 10mm cable.

The immersion heater circuit also should be on a dedicated circuit of it's own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back