What's a ballpark figure to resolve the issues on this home buyer's survey?

You've misread my response. I asked the surveyor to cost the "issues" so I could make an informed decision.

Secondly, I haven't (yet) asked the vendor for any reduction in price because I haven't got an estimate for things that I couldn't see needed doing when putting in the agreed offer.

Thirdly, as a layman I need to get information. https://www.samconveyancing.co.uk/news/house-survey/rat-and-mice-infestation-231 seems to be the website of a bona fide conveyancing company, I have no reason to dispute the information there.

This is why I have come to a public forum to ask for help.

You have put in an agreed offer, now you are suggesting that you still want a lower price for the property !

Your location is Kent, I am sure there will be other prospective buyers prepared to offer the asking price

Sponsored Links
Your location is Kent, I am sure there will be other prospective buyers prepared to offer the asking price
Are they all mugs in Kent?

Who puts an offer in at the asking price when there's £000's worth of work required?

OP if you still want a response, then you are going to have to bullet point the report and your questions.

Home buyers reports are almost worthless. Mine had a list of random non issues simply to cover them. I did my own mini survey and picked up far more pertinent points.

Sponsored Links
Are they all mugs in Kent?

Who puts an offer in at the asking price when there's £000's worth of work required?

The report is not a surveyors report, most of the report falls under general maintenance for a twenty year old property, the poster has stated they have agreed a price with the vendor, by all means they can try their luck to further reduce the price, they may be in a better position if they are a first time buyer and not in a chain,

The report is not a surveyors report, most of the report falls under general maintenance for a twenty year old property, the poster has stated they have agreed a price with the vendor, by all means they can try their luck to further reduce the price, they may be in a better position if they are a first time buyer and not in a chain,
And yet its very common to put on an offer to hold the property whilst further checks are carried out and then make a revised offer based on those checks, or as new information comes to light.

And meanwhule the Vendor decides that the buyer is a "Time Waster" and accepts an original offer .

And meanwhule the Vendor decides that the buyer is a "Time Waster" and accepts an original offer .
Yes, and that is entirely due to the way the system for buying property works (gazumping, no guarantees or contracts until the last minute, no deposits, no reclaiming of costs, no actual commitment form either party) and is nothing to do with situations or actions like the OP's.

The classic rouses of "Oh I've had a better offer, but if you pay an extra £1000 .... " , or the "Sorry, I've over budgeted can you knock off £1000 ...." a few days before signing are still widely done.

Poker players get the best deals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back