what's a reasonable price for replacing a consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An electrical cupboard in a block of flats I'm involved in managing (it's managed by the residents) suffered a water leak from the ceiling causing the consumer units for 2 flats to become damaged and need replacing.

We let the electrician we called out initially to assess the damage and provide a temp supply to the 2 flats from a socket in the hallway complete the job of changing the consumer units without actually getting a price as we would be claiming on the buildings insurance and there was some urgency. We needed the job doing quickly to restore the supply to the 2 flats.

Anyway the bill has come to over £1500 which seems a bit steep and I'm worried the insurance company may well query this figure

Is this a fair price, they were only 1 bedroom flats one with underfloor elec heating & one with storage heaters?

Sponsored Links
Please see rule 9

9) Please don't ask costs / prices. Get several quotes, then you will know for sure

You can expect it to cost several hundred per flat, as there is a lot of testing to be done (I hope you used an electrician who is a member of a recognised Self-Certification Scheme and issued you with Installation Completion Certificates?)

But if you use an emergency call-out and have work done without getting a price, then you are unlikley to have had it done at a low price.

If your electrician was one from your insurer's panel then I doubt they will quibble.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back