What's growing down my cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
down my cellar which is mainly dry and believe or not carpeted for the previous owners mother!, the waste pipe from a loo down there is boxed in so I never see it. It's just on concrete and the rest is boarded and mainly dry.
I've had a small "collapse" of the boxing probably due to too much weight being stacked up on shelves resting on them.
In the dark area where the pipe is I discovered some roots as per the photo. Not everywhere but just growing towards or from a couple of bits of chipboard which fell in when my dad drilled some air holes 10 years ago.
I've looked at images of dry and wet rot but not convinced it's either?
Any thoughts?
Can vegetation roots grow like this or is it more sinister?
Thanks for any help or advice in advance.
regards,
Richard

Sponsored Links
throw a load of bleach down,its doesnt look like dry rot to me.and if its wet rot then bleaching should cure the problem.

Richard, good evening.

A couple of things, Dry and wet rot "tend" to produce an of white coloured "mycelium" BUT I for one have seen a different colour for this type of "root system" in both Dry and wet rot.

Wet rot tends to have a constant supply of water, such as rain water penetration through a wall, in a basement that is distinctly "Wet"

Dry rot has the "ability" to actually "transport" liquid, [water] from say a leaking pipe to a place where the dry rot can attack, with the aid of the water being moved, to an area where some good areas of timber can be attacked. using this "transportation of water" which if not located can take out a three story property in a very short period of time

Question? is there any "vegetation" on the outside of the wall where the "roots" are appearing to penetrate? if so the "vegetation" a bush, a tree, could be the cause of the root getting into the Basement?

As an aside, roots can and frequently do travel quite far, well beyond the circumference of "say" a trees canopy spread.

One Question? when you go into the cellar, does it "smell damp" ? if it does then it probably is slightly damp or there is insufficient ventilation.

Hope this assists?

Ken

Thanks so far.
The "roots" are well underground and no trees anywhere near which makes it more intriguing.
They sort of start and stop. I can see the beginning and the end and I've picked them up and chucked them out.
Should I worry?
thanks,
Richard

Sponsored Links
google honey fungus boot laces. just to say that this fungus travels many many metres through soil in the form of black "boot laces". have a look at some images and see what you think.

you're a genius! That's the fella.
Now to google "treatment"

Thanks for all your help and support.
I love the internet and people who help others on forums.
Wish I was good at something.

R

Richard, we are all good in our own field. I'm sure there is something you can add to this site.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back