What's the knack? Avensis washer jet removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help appreciated.

T27 Avensis.

Washer jets are mounted on the underside of the bonnet, in little cutouts.

For the life of me, I can't prize them out.

What's the knack, trick, or special tool needed?

(one has gone from pizz-weak to nothing. I have already replaced the non-return valve).

Sponsored Links
On the bonnet underside......can you see any plastic flaps that can be squeezed with pliers?
Occasionally I disconnect the washer tubing and squirt compressed air down the nozzle - but no plastic tends to cooperate in this cold!
John

There are two plastic bits facing toward the front of the car, but they look more to stop the unit disappearing through the hole itself.

I'll give your suggestion a whirl, John, but on the weekend (as you have said, warmer weather may help avoid shattering the plastic!)

I'm not averse to buying another couple of jets, but it's the however-long-it-takes-for-them-to-get-from-China that puts me off..........

Can you find a picture of replacements? May give you a clue as to how they fit/secure.

But burnerman is probably right. Little, very brittle wings, that clip in, or else a grooved section that sits into a hole and then slides to secure

Sponsored Links
I have made a washer jet removal tool for the T25. It's in the shed, I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

Can you find a picture of replacements? May give you a clue as to how they fit/secure.

But burnerman is probably right. Little, very brittle wings, that clip in, or else a grooved section that sits into a hole and then slides to secure

I've done that already ( looked at the pictures) but what appears to be the retaining tangs........ well, I'm fudged if I can shift them......

Screenshot_20240117-211506.png

Bigger hammer then.

Wait til you get your new ones, almost certain you will break the old ones getting them out in this weather

20240118_131015.jpg
This is what I made to remove the washer jets on Avensis T25. It's only a piece of 2mm thick plastic trim cut to fit the underside of the jet. Just push it hard until the clip is released and remove it from the top.

Well........

....fashioned a sliver of upvc (as per @Stivino suggestion), and the jet popped out a treat (y)

(with the bonnet down, slide the "blade" between the jet and the bonnet skin, and press - towards the front of the car - a mm or two, until the jet is eased from the bonnet).

Popped the jet off the hose, blew through it and, whatever grit or fleck was blocking it, was ejected.

Stuck it all back together, checked it was working fine, then reattached the soundproofing mat to the underside of the bonnet.

Last edited:
I actually used mine on the underside of the bonnet, but I'm glad it worked for you. Your way sounds easier.

Good news.

Just as an aside I had to sort the washer system on an old lexus this week. Very similar looking jets.

But they prised out , with a small blade. A little plastic tang just holding them in place.

The actual issue was a 2 way valve ( t shaped) that only worked 1 way, so i didn't even need to have removed the jet.

Sponsored Links
Back