What's This Above My Window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

xKALMcC.jpg

both of the upstairs upvc windows in my house are as above, what is the part at the top of the window called and how is it fitted? I can see that it is a piece of upvc with what used to be a piece of 100x20mm wood inside it that is then coated in sealant but the wood has now rotted away.

ejqBrBz.jpg

T3Fmh4C.jpg

the second photo shows the piece i'm talking about from the rear window it was removed whilst I changed the cladding and the second shows whats above the window when it's removed, at the front it has sagged in the middle so I need to repair it somehow. On the rear window there is a wooden cap above the window that is bolted to the wall that is almost exactly like a window sill but above to keep the rain off, this means for the rear i will secure the new piece of 100mm wood to that cap and the upvc piece to the wood.

At the front though there is no cap so I can't work out what the wood was attached to, it surely wasn't just glued onto the wall and that has now failed has it?

thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
It would normally be a "head nosing" which is like a window cill but at the top of the frame, but does the same sort of job.

That is a poor design detail with a piece of fascia board, but incorrectly fitted upside down and do nothing but form a nice water trap to rot the timber above it.

Makes sense,so the next question is how to fix it at the front?

I'm thinking could I cut the wood to rest on the vertical trims at either side and at the rear of the wood drill at an angle into the top of the window frame to secure it, then fit a piece of facia board the correct way on top and then get a thin piece of upvc or white plastic cut to size to cover the wood from below?

Sponsored Links
The cappit board is nailed yes just to a piece of wood that is now rotten and the whole thing has sagged, what I need to know is how I attach the piece of wood to the front of the house, I wouldn't fancy drilling into the concrete lintel and I doubt no more nails is going to hold

What size of wood are you intending to attach? Rather than go with a single piece e.g. 100x20 like before, why not attach 2 runs of thinner batten one near back one near front? e.g. 38mm x 19mm or whatever suits the installation. I reckon a good quality exterior grab adhesive like CT1 Power Grab & Bond would do the trick, you could even go with a wider section of wood as before. Cladding trim can then be nailed to that. How do you intend to finish the area to ensure water is correctly channeled away? I assume you don't intend to refit the cappit board like it was before? As Woody mentioned, it's creating the perfect lip to channel water the wrong way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back