Whats this cable?

Sponsored Links
I believe that BS6004, along with other BSs, has credibility on other countries, so maybe the manufacturer sees that marking as a marketing advantage, but doesn't want any breaches to be too easily detected.
Fair enough - but, based on what you have said, by labelling with "BS6004", but without the CSA labelling (as apparently required by BS6004), they seem to have produced a built-in proof of non-conformity with that Standard :)

Kind Regards, John

The maximum resistance for 2.5mm² plain copper conductors is 7,41Ω/km.
Interesting - so, when it is actually is 2.5mm² (and if I've got my sums right!) that seems to imply a maximum resistivity of 1.8525 Ω.m, which is rather different from the 1.678 Ω.m figure (at 20°C) that was previously being discussed.

Looked at the other way around, if the resistivity actually was 1.678 Ω.m, then the above requirement would imply a minimum CSA of 2.265mm² for (nominally) 2.5mm² conductors.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The maximum resistance for 2.5mm² plain copper conductors is 7,41Ω/kM.
Also interesting as that is the value given in tables even though it does not correlate to the value of 10mm² - 1.83x4 = 7.32mΩ/m
I'm surprised to see you quoting figures from the OSG :)

In any event, we have discussed before the fact that the figures are not precisely linear. You could equally have compared (from that Table):
50mm² & 2.5mm² - 20 x 0.387 = 7.74 (not 7.41)
25mm² and 2.5mm² - 10 x 0.727 = 7.27 (not 7.41)
16mm² and 2.5mm² - (16/2.5) x 1.15 = 7.36 (not 7.41)
1mm² and 2.5mm² - (1/2.5) x 18.10 = 7.24 (not 7.41)
etc. etc.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - but the figures in the OSG Table (which only goes up to 50mm²) are identical to those given in that "Guide to the Wiring Regulations".
If you start your comparing calculations from the 1mm² or 10mm² values the results are a lot closer - apart from the 2.5mm² which is why I commented about Stillp's post.
Yes, you get different answers according to what you use as your starting point, but the fact remains that virtually none of the comparisons are precisely linear. Even the 1mm² and 10mm² figures are not perfectly pro-rata. Some of that will be accounted for by rounding errors, but that alone cannot explain the apparent discrepancies. However, of course, none of those 'discrepancies' are remotely large enough to be of any practical importance!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back