When building your own fence...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to pull down my existing fence and put a new one in it's place.

It currently has the feather edge over lapping type which is all wood (inc posts).

The posts aren't even the same distance apart and really has been thrown in previously by the old home owner.

I just have a few questions prior to buying new materials and hope someone can help.

1 - I have seen 6ft x 6ft wooden panels pre-made, are these suitable for wooden posts or just to slot inbetween concrete posts?

2 - How far apart should I put the posts? I plan to buy 8ft posts (2ft being burried)

3 - Is the fast setting post mix stuff any better than the sand/cement way?

Probably more questions to come but this should get me on my way.

Cheers,
Alan

Sponsored Links
1. yes fine to use on timber posts you can either simply have them running over the front of the posts so 2 butt join on a post or you can hang them between posts on clips.

2. post spacing dependant on panel sizes. beware some mftrs make them 6ft exactly other will be 1800mm

3. Postcrete is fine and very handy but much more expensive than mixing your own concrete bearing in mind you'll need approx 1.5-2 bags per hole Personally i don't use it on exposed windy sites as i feel its not very strong as it has very little stone in it.

Hi all
New to the forum and looking for a bit of advice if that's ok.
I'm in the process of building a fence that'll link another fence to the side of my house.
Normally i would have sunk the posts (100x100x3.6mt) into the ground, but i cant due to drainage pipes just under the surface and foundations etc

(The reason why the fence needs to be so high is because the neighbours garden is about 3 ft higher than ours etc)

Anyway, i didnt want to attach one of the posts to the side of my house as we had a house before and you can end up getting the vibration noise (kids hitting ball of it) coming into the house etc.

So, the question is, would i be able to make a concrete base (using 2x2 slabs) and then fasten bolt down fence posts to it rather than sinking them in or attaching to house?
My concern would be that the fence might shift in the wind due to its height.
The ground that it's going onto is just hard packed gravel (with the drainage pipes running under it)
Distance from fence to house is about 1200mm

Thanks

So, the question is, would i be able to make a concrete base (using 2x2 slabs) and then fasten bolt down fence posts to it rather than sinking them in or attaching to house?

No , if you use slabs you'll have either a horizontal fence or a very crooked one at best come the first bit of wind.
However, expanding on the idea If you were to cast a slab as large as possible with the steel work set into it then the idea could work. Your "slab" would need to be as large as possible and extend from post to post and as far out as possible to provide as heavy as possible base for you fence.

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Thanks for the reply.
I think you're right, i dont think the slabs will work as the fence could shift due to its height when its windy etc.
So the alternative is either -

1. Attach the post to the side of the house
or
2. Make a massive concrete "plinth" and set the fence post metal work onto it etc

Oh i wish it was just soil and i could just sink the posts!!!
And for all the width the fence is going to be anyway, it's not like i'm putting in a huge run of posts etc.

Thanks anyway for the advice

just bolt it to the house and put a strip of neoprene or rubber behind it should stop the noise

ALternatively hire a nail gun from you local hire shop and fire 90mm brads at the kids kicking balls against your fence

Hi R

That's a great idea - thanks.
I agree, i would be much simpler to fix the fence post (closest to the house) to the house wall.
However, i did wonder if i could put something between the fence post and the brick work, so thanks for the advice.

Thanks again.

Hi R

Ha, sorry meant to add this.
Yeah, would be handy to fire some wee brads over the fence !! :cool:

The good thing is they dont play football that often, but as our living room is straight thru the brick work, i didnt want the thud / thud noise as it happened in one of our last houses.

Anyway, i'll try and hunt down some strips of rubber or neoprene.

Thanks again for the advice.
:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back