When it rains Lot of gurgling from the toilet,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever their is a lott of rain our Downstairs Toilet begins to gurgle this goes on for a long time 4 /5 hours sometimes.

I opened the main gutter cover in our back garden the water was really high almost to the point where the drain cover had been . I went next door both sides they did not have any problems with their toilets.

The gurgling in the toilet happened again this weekend ( May 27,28,29th 2007) this time it did not last for long again i checked main gutter in our garden this time the water was flowing through the pipe at normal level . The gurgling this time did not last for long about 40 minutes.

I rang drain people listed in yellow pages they wanted £ 80 for every half hour this is way too much can anyone help out there

thanks

Sponsored Links
if you opened the cover and the inspection chamber was nearly full, there is, most likely a blockage in the pipes. This might be in the pipes leading directly from the chamber, or it might be further down.

Have another look on a non-rainy day. If the chamber level has gone down, then the water is getting away. Look to see of you can find evidence of a blockage, e.g. a loose brick or stopper fallen in. If not, poke down the outflow pipe to see if you can detect anything, and to observe the direction it leads. Make sure you do not use anything that could come apart or break inside the pipe as it will be difficult to get out and will make another blockage.

If the pipe has been broken or collapsed, e.g. from traffic driving over it, you will need an expensive repair. If you find tree roots, you know they have got in through a fracture.

If it has been blocked by detritus, you can hire drain rods quite cheaply and may be able to clear it. Try to pull blockages out, towards you, rather than pressing them more deeply in.

If you have babies or young children in the house, make sure that no-one is throwing e.g. nappies or wipes down the toilet.

If you can find no sign of trouble, try to identify where the next inspection chamber would be, from the direction the pipes lead, and see if there is a blockage in there.

On a rainy day, when the blockage occurs again,lift as many covers as you can. Eventually, you will find one that is full, and the next one is empty,so you know the blockage is somewhere between the two.

If everything is flowing well and there are no signs of a blockage, maybe it is clear. Check during or after heavy rain, or pulling the plug on the bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back